Thursday, July 22, 2010

Belated Birthday

It was my birthday yesterday!

Photobucket
Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Anne Designs


Birthdays are a big deal in my family. Every year as a kid, my mom would throw huge parties with clowns, magicians and invite all the neighborhood kids I was friends with, and all her own friends, too. I would get to decorate the garage with streamers, balloons and cut-outs and put on my most frilly dress to twirl in all day. My mom always did my hair and feathered my bangs (child of the 80s here!). Like I said, birthdays are a big deal in my family.

In fact, organizing my mom's surprise 50th birthday party four years ago is what made me want to plan weddings and parties for a living. Celebrating someone's life is just a momentous occasion, and I love it more than New Year's.

For my birthday this year, Mr. Owl woke me up for breakfast in bed, and cuddles from the doggie (which is the best thing ever!). I got some beautiful presents and later, I was taken out to Chicago's most romantic restaurant (according to numerous blogs and sites) for fondue! And because no birthday is complete without a Carvel ice cream cake, I got one of those, too.

It was a glorious day. I truly think everyone should take off work, splurge and do lots of self-reflection on your birthday. Celebrating another year of life is nothing to take for granted. Put yourself first, count your blessings and be happy for the support of your loved ones.

Happy birthday to me!

1 comment:

Shang said...

A little belated, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Post a Comment